“You have to love, respect and believe in what you do.” ~Buff Dillard
Day Job: Behavioral Specialist
Side Business: Musician, Music Production
1. Tell us about your business.
I’m an independent solo artist. I’m also the CEO of BONEJAZZ PRODUCTIONS as well as my band Queen City Bonejazz.
2.What motivated you to start your business?
My instrument is the trombone, which is not a popular or sought after instrument so I decided to create a market for it.
3. What steps did you take to get started?
I bought the rights to my brand name “BONEJAZZ”, formed my band by sub-contracting other musicians to help bring my music and vision to life, and then promoted and found a market to perform in.
4. Tell us about an action you took to help your business grow.
My business grew as I promoted on Social Media and shopped my press kit.
5. Name three tools-free or paid- that are vital to your business.
Three vital tools are my note pad, Excel sheets, and E-mail.
6. What has been your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?
My biggest challenge has been finding a group of musicians to share my vision and passion. Consistency is key !
7. Share your greatest business success.
My greatest business success has been performing for a major event, The Low Country Jazz Festival, and gaining country wide exposure.
8. What is your ultimate business goal ?
My ultimate business goal is to perform overseas.
9. How do you balance your job, business and family life?
I have a high level of respect for all three, not to mention, my business is my job.
10. What advice would you give to someone just starting their side hustle?
You have to love, respect and believe in what you do.